Tuesday 25th - More sad news

I begin today's posting with the sad news that another of our volunteers, Alan Richards, passed away yesterday. Alan had been a regular Tuesday member until about a year and a half or so ago, when a series of health issues meant he had to stop volunteering. Ian Crowder, who was his neighbour, started a Whatsapp group which enabled its members to keep in touch with Alan and his visitors during his final days at the hospice.

A photo of Alan taken in March last year with his cousins Rachel and Hilary who were visiting from York.

I will do a tribute to Alan as soon as I can muster the photos from my archive.

**************

We had twelve attending today, but not many photos taken as I was busy working on 25451 and away for a while on a fruitless trip to Toddington to hunt down missing paint that had been ordered (it turned up the next day unboxed as separate tins, another mystery!).

Progress in the GW Inspection Saloon's kitchen has been very good with both Stu and Bob in turn gradually getting through the various jobs. 


The panel behind Stu had been given a slightly darker wood dye by me and now looks very good having just been given its first coat of varnish by Stu. It will have two further coats to finish it off. Stu also gave the shelves a further coat.

Stu now begins rubbing Danish oil into the work surfaces. 

Two photos taken at the end of the day. The work surfaces almost glow with just one coat of Danish oil. After two or three they will look stunning.



Moving on to the Mink D, Maurice removed more of the excess canvas and proceeded to tidy up the painting on the adjacent roof battens.


Discussion time and some leg pulling!


Maurice made a very good job of cleaning up these valves from the van.


The preparation on SK 25451 has definitely reached the "endless stage". Still lots of filler to sand down on the sides and of course the door edges and frames to take care of. David works on the latter at the south end.


Having completed the overall general sanding down on the Malvern side, Ian takes on the north end doorway. I was working on the opposite door and also finishing off the adjacent end panelling and toilet window frame.


Later on David moved on to more work along the Cotswold side.


The trains were in the hands of the Class 37's today.


As always you just have to stop and watch the Crimson & Cream set go by.

Definitely a very nice lunch spot. This was actually taken on Saturday, but the weather being what it is, it could easily have been today.

Comments


  1. Sorry to read of another stalwart going to the C&W in the sky. Unfortunately, entropy does not have favourites. R.I.P. ✝️🙏
    The saloon kitchen looks wonderful. Ought to get an award for the skills bestowed upon it. Has 4798 joined rake 1 yet? I keep watching the Broadway webcam, but have not seen it. We are all, coutry wide, going to see some rain this week. We will soon get back to moaning about 'It doesrn't know when to stop raining shortly! When I see people holiday in a caravan, and put their hand out to see if it is rainong, I have to laugh; because inside a caravn, you can hear the rain on the metal roof! always! Same in a tent when you can hear the rain on the canvas! Ah well, 'Cest la vie'.
    Regards, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The woodwork in the GW Inspection Saloon's kitchen is lovely; congratulations on the choice to use an oil finish. I used oil a lot on the real wood in furniture I made, and to me it wins hand down over lacquer or varnish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as suggested before , please submit articles with photos to all railway Magazines to highlight your great work on each restoration of carriages and wagons . we read of other HR's odd carriage but never C&W at GWR who must be the best in the UK.

    Alan was a true gentleman and a loyal supporter at Galas on the 2807 stand during her restoration . RIP. Daily M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment