From a different perspective - the Churnet Valley Railway

This is third selection of Graham's photos. As before most are taken from a different perspective, hence the repeated title.


This time the Churnet Valley is featured with some lovely atmospheric scenes.

So once again, over to Graham from our Maintenance Team.

*********************************************************************************

While I was rummaging around in the Churnet Valley folder for pics of the Caley, I put together some of the other atmospheric ones I captured whilst there.

I don't think we actually rode a train that day, just made use of the catering facilities. We have visited CVR a few times, catching the Notty Train on one occasion and a trip up the branch to Ipstone on another. Whilst riding the Notty Train I was sat opposite one of the CVR volunteers/managers who was proudly telling me CVR had one of the longest tunnels on a preserved line as we rattled and bumped our way down to it. I trumped him with the one at Winchcombe though! 
 
I like the CVR. It is very pleasant and high on my list when we get out of lockdown and things are more back to normal.

A visit to the Churnet Valley for the February 2019 Gala

The excuse was to see the Caley Tank while it was south of the border (already featured in a previous article), but with the chilly conditions and light slowly changing from overcast to weak winter sun, I managed to get a few other atmospheric pics too.

 

 

I got bored waiting for the train to turn up so I turned the camera round the other way and had another go...


  ... and it did eventually arrive.

We walked from Froghall to Consall down the canal…

  the canal boat was phutting out neat smoking rings. But it couldn’t compete.

 

While Consall was so atmospheric I blatted away.




The day did brighten up eventually…

so there were a few shadows and reflections.


 


 We walked back to Froghall along the canal again…

...catching a glimpse of the Caley Tank through the trees.

I’d been waiting on a section where the path was right next to the track, but my mate got bored and of course almost as soon as I’d relented and we moved off, it turned up!

Almost back to Froghall.


The cylinder cover on the TKh was scuffed with white paint (or if it wasn’t on this occasion, it looking nice and shiny for the gala, it certainly was on a previous visit). Now that’s what you call a narrow platform gap!


 


 
*********************************************************************************

Thank you Graham for yet another set of excellent photos, again with some unusual angles and very atmospheric.

Comments

  1. Thanks Graham for the great pictures, nice to know that I am not the only one who "blats" away when taking pictures!!!
    Regards
    Paul & Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I traveled om the very last BR passenger train from Uttoxeter to Leek on 2 January 1965 headed by 75035 (including riding the ECS back to Stoke) it was terribly run down by then. It looks fantastic now, certainly is pretty countryside.
    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment