Tuesday 1st - Another tribute
As stated in last Tuesday's posting, Alan Richards, a former member of the Tuesday Painting & Prep Team, sadly passed away on Monday 24th August. He had been seriously ill for some time. His last attendance with the team had been in September 2024 after which health issues meant he had to give up volunteering.
Alan lived next door to Ian Crowder, the Railway's Press Officer, so we were able to keep in touch with his situation.
A tribute to Alan follows at the end of the day's posting.
***************
Tuesday was a bright sunny day with a nice comfortable temperature. We had 12 attending.
Richard takes a break and watches one of the morning trains as it slows for the station and the token exchange.
**************
Alan Richards - a tribute
I first met Alan during one of our May Steam Galas. He used to drive all the way from Brecon, never minding the time that it took because he loved the GWSR and was always so enthusiastic about it. During his visits he always came into the Works and being one of the Gala monitors I always had a chat with him. I'm not sure how long he had been coming - I started volunteering and doing gala monitoring in 2008, but Alan's visits could have been well before that.
On July 1st 2012 I visited the Dean Forest Railway to enjoy their Branch Line Gala and what an excellent day it was. Both of their GW tanks 5541 and 9681 were running and, as good as they are, the cherry on the cake was without doubt 1401 with both autocoaches.
It was later during the day while on the main train waiting at Lydney Junction that I had dozed off. I awoke with a start when I heard the TTI talking to someone a few seats back and mention the GWSR. The person to whom he was talking responded and I immediately recognised the voice. Good heavens, it's Alan from Brecon! I promptly joined him and we spent the rest of a very enjoyable day together, including another ride on the wonderful little autotrain.
Alan continued to visit the Works during Galas, and then one day said he would be moving to Woodmancote, just a few miles away. Sadly things had changed for him. Now with sight problems he could no longer drive and had to rely on bus travel, which was not always that reliable. He was already a member of the Railway and now wished to become a volunteer and work in Carriage & Wagon. Obviously I said he was more than welcome, especially with him having been a supporter for so many years and his sight issue didn't affect his safety around the Works.
23rd October 2018 - I'm not sure exactly when Alan started, but this is my first photo of him and as I always took photos for the blog, this date is almost certainly it, especially as his overalls look brand new.
Alan did many different jobs within the team and the following are a selection of the many photos taken of him during the time he was with us.
19th January 2019 - sanding down table tops.
21st May 2019 - enjoying a break with Maurice and Richard
6th October 2020 - sanding a coach end
15th June 2021 - top coating a battery box cover
22nd June 2021 - tea break with the Tuesday team
14th September 2021 - cleaning up tail lamps ready for fresh paint.
21st September 2021 - lunch time in the Barn entrance with the Tuesday team
21st September 2021 - Alan often took a turn with the vacuuming around the Paintshop
19th April 2022 - cleaning up a luggage rack
7th March 2023 - reaming out the rivet line on the coach body
6th June 2023 - painting the sole bar in gloss black paint
25th July 2023 - sanding down a compartment door
19th March 2024 - working on the underframe utility boxes
16th April 2024 - sanding down Winchcombe Station's fire buckets prior to repainting
27th August 2024 - cleaning buffers, the last work that I photographed Alan doing
3rd September 2024 - the very last photo I took of Alan watching the Cheltenham train along with other members of the Tuesday team.
***************
Alan was always very interesting to talk to. It is amazing the backgrounds that some of us have in our lives and in Alan's case particularly so. During one of our tea breaks he talked about his ancestry and we were in for quite a surprise.
Alan's great, great, great uncle was a harpist by profession. He went out for a walk one evening and, on his return home, said to his father. "Dad, I've thought of this wonderful tune". He then picked up his harp and played the tune. His father instantly took up his pen and wrote some words with it. The result was "Land of my Fathers", the Welsh national anthem. That was on his grandfather's side of the family.
On his grandmother's side and further back in history, on the battlefield of Agincourt to be precise, one of her ancestors was listed by Shakespeare as Davy Gam Esquire in the list of the English dead. In fact his title is wrong because he put himself in between Henry V and a French knight, who was about to inflict a serious injury on the king, and in so doing received a fatal injury himself. He was knighted by the King either as he lay dying or posthumously. The name Gam has no doubt perpetuated to modern times because Alan's grandmother's surname had evolved to become Games.
Now sitting with our other former friends on our Memorial Wall, Alan will always be remembered.




































Comments
Post a Comment