Tuesday 1st - Scorcher!

 Phew, it was hot today - it feels like we never really bothered with Spring, we had a very long Winter and now suddenly Summer! Stu was already working up a sweat when I arrived, with the pad sander out having already applied filler:


Relieved of blog duties for the day (I've got a guard training turn on Saturday so we swapped) Dave went to help Stu watch the filler dry... :-)


By the afternoon it was in undercoat - job done:


I think that's as far as we're taking it and its over to the DMU guys to finish it off with final painting - what's the plan for the livery Tom, I've been asked but I wasn't sure, will it just be patch painted or redone in green?

A job for me before it got too hot was to pop some numbers on the Dogfish hoppers, Dave caught me in my "summer overalls":


It was a quick and dirty job, a quick clean with a wire brush was all on a rough surface, with no money or time to have a repaint. It works from a distance though, and at least we know what they are again now:


Dave did get going on some work himself, breaking out the varnish to do the wooden trim in the toilet compartment:


It's preferable to do this before installing the toilet, and Phil wants to get on with that so we wanted to finish off in here first.

There hero of the day was Richard, who got the tricky job of repainting the ceiling in the P'way mess coach. Ceiling painting isn't a pleasant job at the best of times, but not only did a lot of flakey paint have to be scraped off first, but it was really rather hot in there out in the yard, so well done Richard!


Bare patches primed and undercoat mid application, it just needs a top coat now.

Back in the paintshop and Roger was focussing on getting the ends of the BSK into gloss:


While Phil was glossing some more window frames:


Just 2 left to go now.

Ainsley was drilling some holes in the steel door skin with only partial success, apparently his drill bits kept blunting!


In the CK in the workshop Alan was applying red oxide on the large expanses of bare metal on the inside of the skin on the corridor side, that should hopefully protect it and stop the rust - for a while:



Up in Upholstery Dave was continuing the rolling replacement of seats in TSO 5042 with some more padding going on:


With seats from the BSK and CK already done and in the storage racks, there doesn't leave much room to bring many seats up from the TSO at once, so lots of back and forth required.

Meanwhile after I finished on the dogfish I retired to the cool of the paintshop before my brush dried out in the sun to do some slightly more delicate lettering (Thanks again Dave for the pic):


I couldn't quite finish it today as I left one of the lettering templates at home which was annoying, but here's how it's looking:


Aside from the missing whole words, can you spot the small omission? It was quickly rectified after I spotted it taking this photo!

Trains went past at various points, the direction of the sun and P&O made a going away shot the one to have here:


4270 was the lunchtime viewing for the gang:


And again just before leaving, with John driving shouting at me asking if I'd finished the loco roster board yet!


Final pic of the day, Dave writing up the whiteboard with the jobs for Tomorrow, always plenty to do!

Comments

  1. Not so much fun when its hot. When cold you can always get warm but heat is totally different. I ducked out of lawn mowing ! Also any work on my garden railway as the shed was like a furnace.
    Regards, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Paul, having not exerted myself during the day, once it had cooled down I had enough energy left to paint my shed in the garden in the evening!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alex, 360 looks very good, excellent work by all! It will be going green once we start to deal with the remaining bit of loose filler but it will have a period in blue with SYP in the interim until we start that work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we would be very happy for it to return to C&W for the work but I understand that space/time/money are at a premium - plenty more DMUs in the future... ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tom, look forward to it appearing in green in due course :)

      Delete

Post a Comment