Railway snow and frost scenes at Winchcombe

There's something about snow and railways, especially when the tracks, signals and vehicles are picked out in striking contrast. Add some sunshine and blue sky and the scenes can look amazing. In contrast there is the early morning view of the railway yard with the sun just coming up and the ground rock hard in the raw cold of a very hard frost. In the past there will have been days when heavy snow fell but there was nobody in to record it. Either it was a non-working day or we simply couldn't get in because of the conditions.

We seem to be having a bit of a white winter in early 2021, with talk of more to come, though with the latest lockdown we may not be there to see it.

A selection of scenes from the past 10 years follows. Most are based in the Carriage and Wagon yard.

 

14th January 2010 

 




 

2nd December 2010



 

11th February 2012




24th January 2013



3rd February 2015




1st December 2016


3rd January 2017


28th December 2017


27th February 2018





2nd February 2019 - two photos by Peter Bennett


7th September 2019 - the wonderful snow scene being painted by Penny 

 


I'll join the bandwagon and just sneak in a few of mine from 28th December 2017 as well, we had glorious sunshine and blue sky that day after the snow. Sadly trains were cancelled, I recall mainly because all the car parks were like ice rinks, a shame as some stunning pictures could have been had. - Alex.





Comments

  1. Excellent photography. I really felt that I could step into the scenes.
    Regards, and a happy New Year, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. Happy New Year to you too. Dave and Alex

      Delete
  2. I remember in winter/spring 2017/18 I had three TTI shifts cancelled by snow! At least I got a lie-in every time. Well done for keeping the blog going - Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Ken, in fact I think the day I took those pictures I was supposed to be TTIing, I got the call it was cancelled so just brought a different set of clothes!

      Delete
  3. Great blogs! Just one very small thing, any idea why there's no longer a 'newer post' and an 'older post' link at the bottom of each blog? I'm needing to go into the archive tab each time to work out if there's a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Third time lucky - without the left and right arrows to obliterate the text.
      Hi Ian. Thank you for your compliment. During Lockdown while we are unable to carry on with our work, we are coming up with all sorts of mainly railway-related ideas to keep the blog going.
      Regarding your query about the way the new blog works: -
      1. The latest article is always at the top i.e. the first one displayed.
      2. The blog now works on a continuous scroll, with the latest 4-5 displayed in descending publishing order. When reaching the end of the current set, by clicking More you will get the next 4-5, and so on right to when we started.
      3. If you wish to look at an older article without scrolling, go to Archive in the left column and click the down arrow. The current month will be displayed. Click Show More to display older entries.
      4. The original blog set up by Peter Bennett is archived under Other GWSR Sites

      Delete
    2. Hi Ian, hmm, I see the problem. Have they only just disappeared, or have they never been here on this version of the blog? I think it may be a blogger update out of my hands if it's changed, they've gotten very good at making things less convenient recently.

      Either way, as Dave says, if you load the main page each time rather than going directly to a specific post, then you'll always see the newest ones first, with the top 4 displayed, and a "more posts" button at the bottom. If you click on a month rather than a specific post then you can also see the last 4 posts in that month with a "more posts" button at the bottom to scroll further back.

      Hope that helps somewhat.

      Delete
    3. Many thanks Dave and Alex.

      In reverse order, Alex I think the change coincided with the new blog's appearance and sadly Blogger isn't the only software that imposes changes I dislike and/or make it more inconvenient to use - over the years if I had a £1 every time they did it I'd probably have enough to fund a decent chunk of the extension north from Broadway!

      Dave, I really look forward to the latest blog. They've probably helped keep me (vaguely) sane over the last year. I see what you mean about going to the main page each time to see the latest one; there is however a downside in that you don't see comments made that way. Isn't technology fabulous! I much prefer something more traditional that I can understand and see how it works like a steam engine.........

      In any event, your blogs are such compelling reading that I'm sure I'll always find them!

      Delete
  4. Whatever happened to that ladder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul. My guess is during the last ladder inspection.

      Delete

Post a Comment